Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Brazinglish, The Language I Think I Speak

So, It's been a fascinating past few months.  Living life one day at a time, trying to "prepare" as much as possible before my departure to Brazil.  I say, "prepare," because what i'm really doing is sitting around, watching endless hours of TV and soaking in every ounce of lazy that I can before I leave for a year and half to serve a mission!  Haha, no matter how much that might seem to be true to some, I really have been working hard to get every possible thing in order before I leave.  Scripture study, Portuguese study, work, study, study, study, not to mention all the paperwork involved in getting a visa!  Talk about cray cray...

Anywho, with all the hard work and studying I think that I can officially say that I have managed to tackle the art of Brazinglish!  It's kind of like Spanglish, but for Portuguese.  And since i'm specifically speaking Brazilian Portuguese, I think Brazinglish is a rather fitting title.  

Over these past few months of waiting, I've been blessed to meet several people that are going to the same mission as I am.  Let me just say, Facebook is a complete blessing at times!  This is how I discovered my fluency in such a little known language... Because of Facebook, I found the sweetest girl who's going to my mission.  The only problem we had was a slight, or maybe not so slight, language barrier!  She's from Brazil, and spoke very little English.  And of course there's me, the bumbling buffoon who can't even remember how to speak English correctly, not to mention Portuguese.

I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised with how well we were able to communicate.  My Brazinglish is coming along quite nicely, if I do say so myself!

Now, se alguém could please point me to the banheiro, Eu acho que sou feito com this blog post  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment