Wednesday, July 17, 2013

South America!


I don't think there's any way to truly describe what it feels like to be called to serve a mission.  Especially when you're asked to serve in a country you've never been to, and don't know a lot about.  This pretty much sums up what I could tell anyone about Brazil after I opened my call:


Honestly, it was a feeling of wonder and excitement!  I pretty much had a smile a mile wide plastered to my face the night I received my call.  After lots of hugs, celebratory phone calls and dinner with family and friends, I immediately went home to Google everything I could about Porto Alegre Brazil.  The first thing I learned was that I was pronouncing it completely wrong!  So long everything I learned in high school Spanish class, I'm learning Portuguese, and unfortunately it's a heck of a lot different...

Despite the fact that going to a foreign land is terrifying, it's also really exciting as well.  I can't deny that every Brazilian I have ever met has been kind, loving and generous.  I also can't deny the feeling I had when I realized that I would be serving the people of that country.  It felt right.  No matter what doubts or fears have crept into my mind during these long months of waiting, or no matter how little I know about Brazil right at this moment, I know that this is where the Lord wants me to go.  He qualifies whom He calls.

So, in the words of Little Red from Broadway's musical Into The Woods, i'm "excited and scared!"  But, mostly excited.  Brazil is only 35 days away!  It better brace itself! :D




No comments:

Post a Comment