Monday, November 25, 2013

Primeira Transferencia

Oí Gente! How are things holding up in the U.S.? I hope all is well and that you are happy.

This week has been full of fun, laughter and lots of sweat. Oh, and how could I forget, TRANSFERS! My oh my, what a week...

Transfer day was Tuesday, and I am now blessed with the opportunity to have the first and only step mother. Sister Lourenço from Fortaleza Brazil. She´s got this cool little Fortaleza accent where she pronounces her R´s more like H´s. She´s 21 and likes Avatar the Last Air Bender. She´s cool. End of story.
Transfer day is really interesting. We live about 2 and a half hours from the main bus area in Porto Alegre (Rodoviarea), which is where all the missionaries that are being transferred meet up with their luggage. So, On Tuesday morning, there I was waking up at 4:30 so that we could make the bus in time. When you get to the Rodoviarea there are probably around 100 missionaries, with at least 2 suitcases each standing around waiting until 11:00 when you find out who your new companion is. It´s awesome! It´s pretty much like a giant reunion. I met up with a few people from the CTM, and a girl that I knew out in Utah! It´s such a small world. I´ll send some pictures of all the fun.

Ok , so getting a new companion while you´re still in the middle of your first 12 weeks of training is really interesting. Let´s just say, I am sooooooo not prepared! My area is huge, and I don´t remember how to get to people´s houses! It was a difficult week for lessons, but the fact that we were walking around holding a map everywhere we went had its benefits. I was able to talk to several people I probably wouldn't have had a chance to know with out the map. It really strikes up some cool conversations! Even though it´s been difficult being the one that ´know´s the area´ it´s given me more of an opportunity to really rely on the Lord. I don´t know anything, but the Lord does. I know that he´s put me in this difficult situation to help me grow.

On the bright side, We´re teaching a man named Alvarino right now. He´s awesome! He contacted the other sisters 2 weekends ago, and the sisters introduced him to me and Sister Barros. Sister Lourenço had an awesome surprise lesson with him last night. At 5:30 we got a call from the Branch president saying that Alvarino was at the church... He wasn´t at church during the normal meetings earlier that day, so it was so strange and random that he would stop by the church at such a strange hour. But QUE MILAGRE! Sister Lourenço and I ran to the church as fast as we could. We had a great lesson, and Alvarino told us that he had prayed about our message, and he received an answer that it was true! He´s Elect! If everything works out well, Alvarino will be baptized on Sunday night. Let´s just say, I was walking on air after our lesson with him.

Anyway, Things are well. It´s such a great experience and opportunity to be here sharing the gospel with the world! I love the Gospel of Jesus Christ! It´s perfect, and it is only through this perfect plan that we can return to live with our God, our Savior and our families for Eternity. 

I love you all!

Sister Stevens


Me and Sister Gamaz from the CTM

Me and Elder de Assis

Me, Sister Barros, Sister Mactiaco and Sister Stratton

Me and Sister Lima. I met her several times out at BYU because she was friends with my Brazilian roommate Rafaela. 

Me, Sister Lourenço and Sister Barros(my two moms)

Me and Elder Soares

Igreja in Santa Cruz

Jabuticaba tree. They grow on the branches. 

Jabuticaba




No comments:

Post a Comment